Casino Welcome Bonus Offers for 2022
Are you searching for the best casino welcome bonus? Casino bonuses are an exciting aspect of online casinos, providing access to bonus money, free spins, and other perks. However, there are so many different types of casino signup bonuses it can be challenging to know what’s what. And that’s before we get into the additional terms and conditions and how different bonuses are better suited to certain types of players.
In this casino welcome bonus guide, we teach you everything there is to know. Keep reading to learn how to pick the best welcome bonus and how you can find the latest bonus offers. Alternatively, check out our in-depth casino bonuses guide for more information on the best offers in Canada.
Affiliate Disclosure: At CasinoSource we work hard to match our readers to the best possible casino offers suitable for individual players' needs. For this reason, some of the recommended casino links are affiliate links. This means that if you visit a casino site via our dedicated link and make a deposit, CasinoSource will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. more
|Casino Provider||Bonus Offer||Review|
Founded in 1946
19+ | T&Cs apply | Please play responsibly | http://connexontario.ca
Mobile Friendly Casino with Jackpots, Tournaments & 24/7 Support
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly.
Quality Software, Variety of Live Casino Games, Long-Standing Reputation
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly. Full Terms Apply.
Kickers are OJO special perks that give you more play, more fun and more rewards
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly
Great User Interface, Fast Payouts and Big Casino Games List
19+ Only - T&Cs Apply
Huge Megaways Slots, Great Selection of Live Classic Casino Games
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly.
Instant Withdrawals, iRush Loyalty and Multiple Deposit Methods
19+. T&C Apply. Play Responsibly
Exclusive Casino Games & Tournaments at Unibet Canada
19+ T&Cs Apply. Play Responsibly.
Great Loyalty Program, Jackpot Slots and 24/7 Customer Support
Full Terms Apply. Full Terms Apply
Discover Exclusive 'PokerStars Originals' Games
19+. T&C Apply. Play Responsibly Full Terms Apply
Fast Mobile App, Large Casino Games list & Great Customer Support
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly Full Terms Apply
Plenty of Casino Games to Enjoy with Fast Payouts, and 24/7 Support
19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly Full Terms Apply
Las Vegas Experience, Mobile Friendly, High-quality software
19+. T&Cs apply. Play Responsibly. Full Terms Apply
500+ Casino Games, Various Game Providers, Top Customer Support
Must be 19+ to participate. T&Cs Apply. Play Responsibly. Full Terms Apply
What is a Welcome Bonus?
A casino welcome bonus is a promotion that an online casino exclusively offers to its new players. Sites usually reward new signups with bonus cash that they can use to place wagers online. Alternatively, some welcome bonuses come in the form of free spins or cashback bonuses.
Almost every online casino in Canada hands out a signup bonus. They are a crucial part of the industry, as operators rely on these offers to help lure new players in. Therefore, casino signup bonuses are often highly lucrative. Since the online gambling market is one of the most competitive, every online casino creates bigger and better welcome bonuses to stay ahead of the competition.
Casino welcome bonuses are just as important for players as they are for operators. They give you a chance to boost your bankroll, try games for free, and make the most out of your gambling budget. And with so many online casinos in Canada, there is a never-ending list of betting sites with welcome bonuses that you can capitalise on.
Casino Signup Bonus
A casino signup bonus is a special type of welcome bonus available at some online casinos. Traditional welcome bonuses require you to make an initial deposit to claim the bonus offer. However, signup bonuses are what they say on the tin – you simply need to register for an account to claim the promotion, and no deposit is required.
As no deposit is needed, these offers are also known as no-deposit bonuses or free welcome bonuses. They are popular among players as you don’t need to make any financial investment to claim the offer. In fact, they are one of the best online casino bonuses for players. However, they are typically much smaller in value than a traditional casino welcome bonus. Operators can’t hand out lots of free money, or they risk making a loss.
Type of Welcome Bonuses at Online Casinos
Casino welcome bonuses come in all different shapes and sizes. And unless you understand the different categories, it can be confusing. Below you’ll find a description of the main online casino welcome bonus types to help you out when choosing a bonus offer.
A deposit bonus is the most common casino welcome bonus Canadian casinos run. As the name suggests, you have to make an initial deposit after registering for an account to receive the bonus offer. There is always a minimum deposit amount that you must hit to be eligible for the welcome bonus. Once you have deposited this amount, the promotion will become available.
Precisely what you get with your deposit varies between sites. Some online casinos offer a deposit match welcome bonus, meaning the site will credit you bonus funds equal to the value of your first deposit. The more you deposit initially, the more bonus money you receive. Others will offer more of a welcome package. These typically consist of a matched deposit bonus and free bonus spins.
These bonuses are one of the most popular are they are highly lucrative. Although you do need to deposit to claim the casino welcome bonus, you can easily double the money you have in your account. As soon as you clear the wagering requirements, you can withdraw this as cash.
Many online casinos award free spins as part of a welcome package along with a deposit match bonus. Alternatively, sites can hand them out as a stand-alone welcome bonus. When given as a stand-alone offer, they are often a free welcome bonus as typically no deposit is required. The best slot sites will often have the best free spins offers, ut this isn't always the case.
Free spins promotions award players with bonus spins to use in the online casino. Unfortunately, you cannot use these spins on any slot game you like. The operator will always identify the specific games on which you can redeem your spins. However, they are usually a casino’s top games or latest additions. Players love this type of casino welcome bonus as it gives them a chance to try the casino for free. And, if luck is on your side, you might even walk away with some winnings.
|Casino||Bonus||All Casino Games||Mobile Slot Games X||Free Spins||Play now|
|Huge Megaways Slots, Great Selection of Live Classic Casino Games||2227||1251||200||Play now||19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly.|
|Mobile Friendly Casino with Jackpots, Tournaments & 24/7 Support||1535||540||120||Play now||19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly.|
|Kickers are OJO special perks that give you more play, more fun and more rewards||1666||33||50||Play now||19+ T&C Apply. Play Responsibly|
A no-deposit bonus – also known as a casino signup bonus or a free welcome bonus – is any promotion you receive upon registration. You do not need to deposit to claim the offer. Creating a new account and verifying your identity with the online casino unlocks the welcome bonus.
As no deposit is required, these welcome offers are much smaller in value than deposit bonuses. Sites will often award you with bonus spins to use on specific slot games. Alternatively, a small amount of bonus money might be up for grabs. This amount is usually around CA$5 to CA$20; casinos cannot give heaps of free money away without any investment from players, or they could face serious losses.
Despite their smaller value, this is one of the best welcome bonus types available. With no deposit needed, you have nothing to lose by claiming the offer. Still, a free welcome bonus no deposit required casino is harder to come by, so you may be limited on which sites you can play at.
A match bonus – short for deposit match bonus – is a type of deposit bonus. With this casino welcome bonus, the site will match the value of your first deposit by a certain amount. These are one of the best online casino bonuses, as the more you put in, the more you get back out.
The most common percentage match is 100%, meaning you can double the money you have in your account instantly. However, matches can be more or less. Some welcome bonus offers match as little as 20%, whereas others can provide 200% of your deposit as bonus money. Match bonuses are also always capped, impacting how beneficial the online casino welcome bonus is.
For example, let’s say you have CA$500 ready to deposit at an online casino. One site offers a casino welcome bonus of 100% up to CA$200; depositing the max allowance of CA$400 will give you a CA$200 bonus. However, depositing CA$500 would also give you a CA$200 bonus. Another casino is running a 50% up to CA$1,000. Despite being a lower percentage match, in case you deposit CA$500 this welcome offer would give you a bonus amount of CA$250 and is the better option in this situation.
A 100% bonus is a subset of the match bonus offer we’ve just discussed above. This casino welcome bonus matches 100% of your initial deposit on the site. It is the most common type of deposit bonus available and one of the most popular among players. It essentially doubles your deposit, which is a fantastic deal.
An even more lucrative match deposit bonus is the 200% bonus. That’s right; this casino signup bonus matches your first deposit by a massive 200%. If you were to deposit CA$100 at a Canadian casino, this would equal CA$200 of bonus money. Yet, this is a rare online casino welcome bonus because the casino is giving so much money away. But if you can find one, it’s worthwhile taking advantage of it.
A reload bonus is a type of offer traditionally reserved for existing players. Sites also often give this as a loyalty bonus. However, today, more and more online casinos offer a welcome package to new bettors. Instead of handing out a single casino welcome bonus, these packages consist of several promotions rolled into one.
Usually, new signups can claim a deposit match welcome bonus. There are then reload bonus offers available for your subsequent few deposits. They’re highly lucrative and can mean you earn a lot of bonus money just from funding your account a few times.
Although rare, these welcome bonuses do exist. They allow you to get your hands on your winnings without any headaches as you can withdraw your money as cash almost immediately.
Free spins are a common no-wagering bonus. Alternatively, small no-wagering deposit bonuses of around CA$5 to CA$20 are available at some sites. They are the same as the standard versions of these signup bonuses. However, there are no wagering requirements in sight.
Mobile Casino Bonus
Some casinos offer a dedicated bonus for mobile players, and these are always worth looking out for. If you're a fan of mobile casinos, then this is the type of bonus for you.
How Do Welcome Bonuses Work?
Most casino signup bonuses work in the same general way; you need to register for an account and meet the eligibility criteria to claim the offer. You also need to complete the playthrough requirements within a set timeframe before withdrawing any funds.
These welcome bonus offers are only available for new players. But with so many ICanada online casinos, there is an abundance of offers to claim. With that said, all casino welcome bonuses are slightly different from one another. Therefore, it is always advisable to shop around for the best welcome bonus casino sites currently offer.
Below is how we recommend you go about finding and claiming a bonus offer:
- Find an Online Casino: Check out our recommended online casinos here at CasinoSource and compare the welcome bonus for each. Choose a site with the best online casino bonuses based on your unique requirements.
- Register for an Account: Click on the link in our review articles to head to the online casino site. Once there, click the “Register” or “Signup” button and fill in the registration form. You will need to provide personal information and set up a username and password.
- Make a Deposit: Most welcome bonuses require you to make a deposit. Therefore, head to the deposit section and choose your preferred payment method. For example, if you're playing at a top PayPal casino, choose that as your payment method. Enter the deposit amount and click “Confirm”, ensuring you’ve hit the minimum deposit requirement.
- Claim Your Welcome Bonus: The online casino welcome bonus should appear in your account after your first deposit. Use this to play casino games and win real money. The games available to you depend on the type of bonus offer.
- Fulfil the Wagering Requirements: Almost all casino signup bonus offers have wagering requirements. Sites always outline this figure in the T&Cs. Fulfil these requirements within the allotted timeframe so you can withdraw your winnings.
Choosing the Best Welcome Bonus
We understand that choosing a casino welcome bonus can be challenging. All welcome bonuses are different, so they are not easily comparable. With different bonus amounts, wagering requirements, and percentage matches, there is a lot to consider. How can you determine which is the best?
Thankfully, our expert CasinoSource team is here to help! Here are all our tips on spotting the best welcome bonus offers available at online casino sites:
- Type of Bonus: No-deposit bonuses are among the best casino welcome bonuses as they require no upfront investment. Welcome packages are also great as you continuously get rewarded, while free spins might be your preferred bonus type if you’re an online slots fan.
Terms & Conditions: Always read through the T&Cs of any casino welcome bonus you’re interested in claiming. What initially appears as a lucrative welcome offer can have unfavourable terms and vice versa.
- Wagering Requirements: The best welcome bonus offers have low wagering requirements. The industry average is between 30-40x, so we recommend aiming for these requirements or lower.
- Restricted Games: Some casino signup bonuses only allow you to play certain games while clearing the bonus. Others let you play whatever, but the games contribute different amounts. Check that you can play the titles you enjoy when clearing the welcome bonus.
- Availability in Your Location: Some casino welcome bonuses are only available in certain countries or jurisdictions. Sites always detail this in the terms and conditions, so check it is available in your location to avoid disappointment.
- Time Limits & Expirations: Most casino bonus offers have an expiry date. Similarly, wagering requirements also come with time limits. The longer you have to clear the welcome bonus, the easier it is to do so.
- Excluded Payment Methods: Some welcome bonuses restrict what payment methods you can use when funding your account. Watch out for this, and if your preferred payment method isn’t available, you might be better off signing up for a different online casino.
Cashable vs Non-Cashable Welcome Bonus
We have already discussed the main types of welcome bonus offers available at casinos. However, there is another way to separate bonuses; all offers will be cashable or non-cashable (also called a “sticky” bonus). You must understand the difference between these types of promotions and how this can affect your payout.
Cashable Welcome Bonus
Cashable bonuses are the simplest type of casino welcome bonus. Once you have met the wagering requirements, you can withdraw your initial deposit and the bonus amount as cash. In other words, your combined bankroll after claiming the bonus is the money you have available to cash out. After, of course, you have cleared the playthrough requirements.
Non-Cashable Welcome Bonus
Non-cashable or “sticky” bonus offers do not allow players to withdraw the bonus amount. Therefore, the amount you can cash out (having met the wagering requirements) is your combined bankroll minus the bonus amount. Similarly, this is where the phrase “sticky bonus” comes from – the welcome bonus never leaves your account and sticks with the online casino.
Because the casino won’t lose this bonus money, non-cashable welcome bonuses tend to be larger. However, the wagering requirements are also typically more significant.
How to Find the Best Welcome Bonuses
Finding the best online casino bonuses can seem like a never-ending task. There is an abundance of online casino sites with unique offers and promotions. How do you know where to start? Thankfully, our CasinoSource experts are here to help again. Take a look at our top tips on sourcing the biggest and best of all the latest casino bonuses:
- Searching for Online Casinos: Begin by searching for an online casino in your area. The most popular sites are generally near the top of the search results. Form a list of any you think look like somewhere you’d be interested in playing.
- Comparing Welcome Bonuses: Head to every site on your list and navigate to the promotions page. Compare what casino welcome bonuses they have available. Which have the largest bonus amounts? Which have the smallest wagering requirements? Use the section above on choosing a casino bonus to help you compare offers.
- Reading Casino Reviews: Betting sites with welcome bonuses can easily draw players in based on the promotion alone. However, always read a thorough review of the online casino before signing up. Ultimately, this will let you know if players have had any issues with the welcome bonus, alongside offering a review of all other features.
- Reviewing the Terms & Conditions: Finally, read the terms and conditions of both the casino signup bonus and the site. Reading this will highlight any issues and ensure you know exactly what you’re signing up for.
Welcome Bonus Wagering Requirements
We have mentioned the term “wagering requirements” several times in this guide. Almost every casino welcome bonus comes with wagering requirements. They protect the online casino by preventing players from claiming a promo and withdrawing it immediately as cash. However, some harsh wagering requirements can make a great offer entirely useless.
Most welcome bonuses have wagering requirements that range between 20-50x, but any higher than this and the bonus funds become tricky to clear. Also, note that different games contribute differently to meeting the wagering requirements. For example, slots usually contribute 100%, but table games and live casino titles could contribute as little as 10%.
Pros and Cons of Using a Welcome Bonus
- Welcome bonus offers greatly increase your bankroll.
- You have the opportunity to try new slot games for free when using bonus spins.
- Free welcome bonus offers give players with no gambling budget the chance to win real money.
- There are so many different types of casino welcome bonuses. There is something for everyone to enjoy.
- Most welcome bonuses have wagering requirements to meet before you can cash out.
- It is typical for a casino welcome bonus to impose game limitations.
- Some bonus offers come with cashout limits which limit the amount you can withdraw at once.
- The different types of welcome bonuses and complicated T&Cs can make these offers confusing to understand.
First Deposit Bonus vs Welcome Bonus
First-deposit bonuses and welcome bonuses might sound similar. However, first deposit bonuses are just one of the many types of casino signup bonuses available, and there are many differences between to two. You can find all the differences summarised in the table below:
First Deposit Bonus
- This match bonus always applies to your initial deposit at the online casino site.
- You always have to fund your account to be eligible for a deposit bonus, and the amount you deposit must meet the minimum amount.
- A first deposit bonus is a single promotion that only applies to your first deposit.
- Welcome bonuses can come in many forms, including deposit bonuses, bonus spins, and free welcome bonuses.
- Some welcome bonuses require you to make a deposit. However, no-deposit bonuses are a type of welcome offer that you can claim without any financial investment.
- Many sites combine several welcome bonus offers into a welcome package, which could include a no-deposit bonus, a first deposit bonus, and several reload bonuses.
Welcome Bonus Terms & Conditions
Terms and conditions apply to every casino welcome bonus you come across – no exceptions. Casinos put these in place so players know exactly what they are getting. The T&Cs vary dramatically between different offers, but here are the key ones to look out for when comparing welcome bonuses:
- Wagering requirements and timeframes
- Wagering contributions by game type
- The time you have to use the welcome bonus
- Restricted games when clearing the bonus
- Geographical/location restrictions
- Minimum deposit amounts for deposit bonuses
- Any limitations of available payment methods
What casino bonus is best for new players?
- The best casino bonus depends on your preferences, yet all new players should look at claiming a casino welcome bonus. These are the most lucrative offers awarded by all sites and are a great way to boost your bankroll. The best welcome bonus has low wagering requirements and is always high value.
How to claim your casino welcome bonus?
- We make it easy for you to claim your casino signup bonus. Simply click on any of the links to our recommended online casino sites, where you can register for an account within seconds. Your bonus offer may automatically apply once you qualify if you choose to opt in. In other cases, enter a bonus code or promo code when making your first deposit.
Which online casino has the biggest welcome bonus?
- Online casinos constantly update their welcome bonuses. Therefore, which casino has the biggest bonus continually changes. We list the best current promotions here at CasinoSource, so bookmark the tab and keep coming back to it whenever you need a new casino signup bonus.
Are casino welcome bonuses worth it?
- Yes, casino bonuses are worth it. They allow you to boost your bankroll and win back free bets or real money. However, always check the terms and conditions. The best online casino bonuses will be highly lucrative, but some may have unreasonable terms and conditions that make it impossible for you to gain any real benefit.
Can you withdraw a welcome bonus?
- You cannot withdraw most welcome bonuses immediately, such as the deposit bonus. The bonus amount will be awarded as site credit which you can use to place wagers and play casino games. However, you can then withdraw cashable bonuses once you have met the wagering requirements.
What are the disadvantages of welcome bonuses?
- There are a few minor disadvantages of casino welcome bonuses. The main one is the wagering requirements, which you must meet before withdrawing any real money. You also have to clear the casino bonus within an allotted time, putting pressure on your gameplay.