Best Online Roulette Games in Canada
Roulette is one of the most popular table games at brick-and-mortar casinos, so it’s no surprise that the game is just as popular online. If you're not familiar with how to play roulette, you can wager on one or a group of numbers before one is decided when the dealer spins the ball around the rotating roulette wheel. As an ultimate casino classic, you can find tons of great roulette site operators and variants online. So, if you’re looking for the best roulette casino site, you’ve come to the right page.
Our Most Popular Games
Guide to the Best Roulette Casino Games
Below we will introduce you to the best online roulette games and online casinos. We will also provide all the information you could ever need on online roulette games.
Online vs Offline Roulette
There is nothing quite like playing roulette at a land-based casino. Canada roulette players love the authenticity and drama of watching professional dealers dropping the ball onto the roulette wheel live, surrounded by the camaraderie of the casino floor.
The fundamentals of roulette remain the same whether you’re playing online or offline. You still wager on where the ball will land and place your bets on the roulette table. Even so, the advantages of playing on one of the best online roulette site outweigh the experience of playing at a land-based venue. One of the key advantages of online casinos are the bonuses and the best bonus sites in Canada offer some really exciting and lucrative bonuses in order to entice more players than their competitors.
- Convenience: Being able to play wherever you are and whenever you want is the obvious benefit of playing online. Pick the online roulette game you want from the comfort of your own home.
- Game Variety: All the best online roulette games are at your fingertips, and there is far more variety. Online casinos provide many more roulette variants that you’ll struggle to find at a land-based Canadian casino. For example, you can play multi-wheel, mini, and speed roulette online.
- Accessibility: Because online casinos have fewer overheads, they are more accommodating if you are a budget player. Customers can access games with much lower buy-ins, and yes, that often includes free roulette games.
- Bonuses: One of the unique aspects of online casinos is the bonuses operators have to attract players. Whether it is a welcome bonus or an ongoing promotion, bonuses allow you to boost your bankroll. Most of them will have a roulette bonus or at least a live casino bonus.
Online roulette is a simple game to learn and is mostly the game we all know and love from land-based casinos. You’ll find all available bets beside a spinning wheel on the roulette table, on which a ball is dropped. Players can make inside and outside bets that essentially predict where the ball will land when the wheel stops spinning.
The significant difference with a roulette online casino game is that there is no real-life dealer. Instead, the game uses a random number generator (RNG) that ensures the outcome of every spin is completely random and impartial. These are virtual machines that do not feature a mechanical wheel or physical ball.
Live casino roulette online is slightly different. These games apply the same roulette rules, but they do use a real human dealer, a mechanical wheel, and a physical ball. Live games use modern technology to deliver high-quality video streams from a studio to the best online casino for players to enjoy.
Roulette Rule Variations
While the basics of roulette are universal, there are differences across numerous variations of the game. And no, we are not talking about a roulette drinking game or a Russian roulette game - we’ll leave those variants alone! Rules will change depending on the game you choose, where you may have different payout rates, potentially more than one ball or wheel, and available betting options. We will dive deeper into this topic below by closely examining the types of roulette games.
Roulette Game Types
All online roulette game variants start with the same base game, the spinning wheel and ball drop. From that starting point, there is a split into three forms of the game, American, European, and French. From those main forms, the best software providers have created different variations with unique features and gameplay.
American roulette games have a lower house edge, so they typically have a low buy-in limit. This could be important if you are playing on a tight budget. Although, European roulette has a better house edge and should be the game of choice for most players. If you have the bankroll for a higher buy-in, French roulette is worth checking out for its betting perks (such as en prison and la partage).
Top Rated Roulette Games
From the main roulette forms (American, European, and French), many different variants add unique elements to the gameplay. These versions provide more excitement or betting advantages, making them popular with gamblers:
- Mini Roulette: A popular type of roulette game online, mini roulette puts an exotic twist by using a smaller wheel. While traditional roulette has 37 (European) or 38 (American) pockets on the wheel, mini roulette has just 13. Therefore, the gameplay is much faster and adds something different for players. However, the increased 7.89% house edge means it is a risky game to play.
- Multi-Wheel Roulette: As the name suggests, multi-wheel allows you to simultaneously play on up to 8 wheels. It uses European roulette game rules, and you only make a single bet across all wheels. So, while your chances of winning can rise with the additional number of wheels, your bet will also increase.
- Progressive Roulette: Like more common progressive slots, a game of progressive roulette features a jackpot that accumulates over a network. Every time someone bets and spins on any casino where the game is present, a portion of the wager goes to the growing jackpot. Prizes can reach massive amounts before the jackpot hits.
- Double Ball Roulette: Featuring two balls, double ball roulette is a variant that gives players two chances of winning. While this boosts your odds, both balls must land for you to win a bet successfully. In terms of available bets, double ball roulette offers the same inside and outside betting options as standard versions.
- 3D Roulette: This online roulette game simply makes a graphical change to a standard virtual game. In particular, instead of a 2D top-down view of the roulette wheel, the game will render the wheel in 3D, providing a little more immersion and fun to the gameplay.
American vs European Roulette
While you’ll see plenty of roulette game variants at online casinos, including free game roulette online, these games are all based on either American or European roulette. Therefore, understanding the differences between these two fundamental roulette forms is essential for choosing the best game for you.
- European Roulette: The traditional roulette game and the most popular variant online, European roulette welcomes players of all abilities and budgets. It has a favourable 2.7% house edge but may have a higher buy-in than American roulette. European roulette has 37 numbers on the wheel (1 through 36 and a zero pocket).
- American Roulette: A unique twist on roulette, the American version adds an extra pocket to the wheel. Alongside the standard zero (“0”), there is a double zero (“00”). That means the American wheel carries 38 pockets compared to the standard 37 on European roulette. This is significant because it bumps the house edge to 5.26%, essentially giving you a little less chance of winning. That is why buy-ins for American roulette are usually lower than for European games.
Whether you want to play an American or European roulette game, the online casinos we recommend have you covered. Check out the below list of top Canada roulette sites that each provide a solid selection of European and American roulette variants.
Roulette Odds: Why House Edge Matters
You now know American roulette has a higher house edge than European roulette, but why does this matter? What exactly is the house edge, and how can it help you decide which online roulette games to play?
House edge is a percentage number that shows how much a casino makes in profit from a game on average. We will use European roulette as an example to explain house edge, but the same principles apply to American roulette or any other variant.
There are 37 numbers on the wheel, including the green zero pocket. So, if you place a straight-up bet, theoretically, you have a 1 in 37 chance of success. You also have a 36 in 37 chance of losing. As online casinos pay out 35 to 1 for straight-up bets, the roulette game’s house edge is therefore 2.7%.
In simpler terms, the casino always has an advantage. Yes, you can win and make a profit, but over a long enough period, the casino would also eventually turn a profit. Even so, roulette is popular because it has one of the lowest house edges in the casino industry.
Does that mean playing roulette is pointless because the casino will always eventually win? Not quite. It is possible to beat the house edge over a shorter term when playing a roulette game and make a profit. That is why knowing when to walk away with your winnings is a vital skill to have.
By following some basic roulette best strategy principles, you can give yourself a chance of making a profit from roulette games. A roulette strategy is different from a roulette betting system. We will discuss betting systems later, but it is also worth having a strategy.
One obvious strategy is to manage your bankroll strictly and never bet more than you can afford. Another handy tip is only reinvesting a portion of money you win into the game. Pocket the rest, and you may be able to make a profit on roulette online games.
Nevertheless, those roulette players who can afford to take more risks might want to follow a more aggressive tack. Some say the best strategy in roulette is the Martingale Strategy.
The idea is that whenever you lose you increase your bet, so that when you eventually win, you recover any losses and potentially win more besides. This strategy is best-suited to highrollers who can afford to bet relatively large amounts and keep increasing their bet even after losing. It's not for the faint-hearted so we don't recommend the Martingale Strategy to casual players on a budget.
Roulette Bets and Payout Ratios
There are two main types of bets available in roulette, outside and inside. Below our team of casino experts provides a complete overview of all betting options and the potential payout for each:
As the name suggests, outside bets are available on the outer parts of the roulette pay table. These are the bets with the most significant chances of winning. Payouts will not be high because of the favourable odds, but you can pick up more frequent wins.
- Red or Black – An even odds bet (1:1) on red or black coloured numbers
- Odd or Even – Another even odds 1:1 wager on even or odd numbers
- Low or High – The final 1:1 bet for wagers on either 1-18 or 19-36
- Column – Place a bet across a column of numbers grouped into three sections of 12. The odds are 2:1
- Dozens – As another outside bet, this is when you bet on the first dozen numbers (1-12), second dozen numbers (13-24), or third dozen numbers (25-36)
Inside Bet Odds
Located on the inside of the pay table, inside bets are riskier wagers where the potential rewards are more extensive. Inside bets are also more suited to high rollers or players willing to risk losing for a big win.
- Single-number – Bet on a single number on the wheel with a payout of 35:1
- Split – Bet on two adjacent numbers with a payout of 17:1
- Street – Wager on any row of three numbers together with a payout of 11:1
- Corner – Split a bet across four connected numbers with a payout of 8:1
- Double Street – Bet on two rows of three numbers with a payout of 5:1
Roulette Betting Systems
Betting systems are popular, and you may have heard of them. Often, systems are advertised as being able to guarantee you wins when playing roulette. Unfortunately, this is not the case, as roulette is a game of chance. Therefore, no system can influence the outcome. Even so, popular betting systems like the Martingale, Fibonacci, and D’Alembert are still helpful.
While they won’t bring you wins, they can help you control your bankroll and make your money last longer. Furthermore, if you follow a system successfully, you will tip the chances of winning slightly more in your favour.
Live Dealer Roulette vs Online Roulette
When you visit the best Canadian online casino sites we recommend, you will have plenty of roulette game variants to choose from. Alongside online roulette, you will also have access to live casino lobbies where you can play live roulette with human dealers. Live casinos have become immensely popular in recent years with live roulette and other games such as live blackjack, poker and baccarat. Players value the authenticity of playing with real dealers and seeing real action unfold from the convenience of their desktops or mobiles.
There are pros and cons to whatever form of roulette you choose. With the table below, you can weigh up the benefits of standard online roulette games and live casino games to decide which is best for you.
A live roulette game provides a realistic casino experience online. The games at our recommended online casinos have excellent video streams with immersive gameplay. So, if you’re searching for that authentic brick-and-mortar gambling atmosphere from the comfort of your sofa, check out our top live casino sites below.
Online Roulette Software Providers
When you access the online casinos we highlight on this page, you can play roulette game variants from the leading software providers. Our industry experts choose the casino operators that provide the most diverse, exciting, and immersive roulette tables.
Developers we look for include Microgaming, the world’s largest iGaming provider. With a reputation for quality and a commitment to fairness, Microgaming’s virtual casino games are amongst the best in the business. Other notable providers include Playtech and NetEnt.
On the live casino side, any site that provides access to Evolution Gaming software is an instant winner for use. Evolution is the leading live dealer games provider known for the quality of its streams and professional dealers. Other top-notch live casino providers include Pragmatic Play and Red Tiger Gaming.
Roulette on Mobile and Roulette Apps
With a growing number of mobile gamblers in Canada, all our recommended online casinos must provide a mobile-friendly environment for customers. By using HTML5 technology, the best online roulette casino sites on this page are optimised to work on the mobile browser screens of iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices. You can play exciting mobile roulette game variants whenever and wherever you wish!
However, we advise using a mobile casino app whenever one is available. Not all operators provide a dedicated mobile application, but there are clear advantages to using one. For example, you get access to notifications, a bespoke UI, better connectivity, and less performance load on your device.
Top Roulette Tips
As you head off to one of our recommended roulette game online casinos, the following tips can help you to make the most of your experience:
- Play European Roulette: European roulette has a lower house edge than American tables.
- Play for free first: Try free roulette games first to get familiar with your chosen variant before staking real money on online roulette.
- Study the table: Research the pay table to understand all betting options in a game.
- Go for outside bets: Outside bets have a lower payout than insides, but they have superior odds.
- Experiment with combination bets: Use a portion of your bankroll to make combination bets to boost your chances of success.
- Place smaller bets: At least at first, stick to smaller bets to give your bankroll a chance of lasting longer.
- Betting strategies: Don’t forget betting strategies. They won’t guarantee wins, but they will help you control your bankroll.
- Gamble responsibly: Always bet within your means and never spend money you cannot afford to lose.
Best Roulette Free Games
One of the benefits of the online casinos we review and recommend is that they support game demos. This means you can play free roulette games online. You won’t be able to win money, but free play allows you to get familiar with a game, practice your betting strategy, and just have fun without risking your bankroll.
🧑⚖️ What are the rules for playing roulette online?
- Roulette rules are remarkably simple and involve you simply betting on a number or numbers you think will hit. The roulette wheel spins, and a ball is dropped into the wheel. Where the ball lands when the wheel stops spinning will determine whether you have won the bet or not.
🚨 What is the safest bet in roulette?
- Outside bets are the best bets in roulette, especially the 1:1 wagers (Red/Black, Odd/Even, Under/Over). While these bets do not payout at the same level as inside bets, they carry much better odds and give you a slightly better chance of winning.
🍀 Is roulette all luck based?
- Yes, roulette is a game of luck. There is nothing you can do to influence the outcome of a wheel spin or where the ball will roll. However, you can use betting systems and strategies to help extend your bankroll and potentially increase your chances of success.
⚠️ Is online roulette rigged?
- No, not if you choose to play roulette from a reputable provider. We only recommend licensed online casinos that work with reputable software providers. Roulette games on these sites are tested to ensure all outcomes are random and not influenced by the provider or casino.
🧩 Can I use betting strategies in roulette?
- Of course, you can! Strategies can help you control your betting and bankroll, giving you more chances to win games. However, no betting system will provide a guarantee of winning at roulette and any strategy that claims this is false.